Important facts and must-know basics about the Firefly and the National Firefly Association.
- The Firefly is one of the strongest 2-person racing fleets in the UK.
- The Firefly is one of the cheapest two-person dinghies in the UK, race-ready secondhand boats can be picked up for under £1000 and a new boat is under £4000.
- The Firefly is 12′ long, suits a crew weight of 17-24 stone, and has no spinnaker.
- The Firefly has great fleet racing, where inches count all the way around the course. The week-long National Championship held each August is the highlight of the year. Click here for Firefly Events
- The Firefly is the ultimate team racing boat used at 2 ISAF World Team Racing Championships in the last 6 years, as well as being used for over 50 years at the world-famous Wilson Trophy, and the British Open Team Racing Championship. The Firefly calendar includes more “bring your own boat” team racing events than any other class in the UK. If you like cheap close racing, the best team racing, excellent socials and a friendly class buy a Firefly, join the class association, and join us!
- Last but not least! The Firefly class is as much about socializing as it is about sailing. With a current member list ranging from all ages – 8 to 80, a perfect balance of men to women and a super-friendly bunch of people, you are guaranteed to have fun, both on and off the water
- At just £30 for a year’s full membership (e.g. helm) and £* for associate membership (e.g. crew), it’s affordable and fun!
If this sounds like the boat, class, fun and set of friends you are looking for, please contact the Membership Secretary.